photo HomeHeaderPages_zps121b83d7.jpg  photo AboutHeaderPages_zps6faf416f.jpg  photo ContactHeaderPages_zps0989aee4.jpg

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Upholstery: Completed Wingback Chair


I finally finished the wingback chair! If you haven't been following along you can read about phase 1, phase 2, and phase 3 by clicking the respective links. Get ready for a lot of pictures in this post - I might have gone a little overboard but it's because I'm so happy with how this turned out and I'm really sad that it's finished. If you just want to see the finished pictures scroll down to the very bottom.

I'm going to start with a ton of pictures from the most recent update so you can see the whole process through to the finished chair.

The completed deck

 
Starting the inside arms and wings


Maurice being ever so helpful

Getting started on the inner back - tying the springs and padding



Prepping the outside arms, wings, and back














All in all this wasn't that hard just time consuming. I think the hardest part or part that took the longest time was stripping the chair. Other than that everything was rather straightforward. You repeat the same steps for each part of the chair it's just important to do things in the right order. Release cuts were hard for me at first but I got the hang of it by the end. Putting the tacks along the perimeter of the chair was also really hard at first and I couldn't manage to keep the spacing or the tacks in line. As I went I got the hang of it but I'm glad I started on the back first so I had time to learn. I learned so much about upholstery in general on this project and I really loved every moment of it. It was satisfying to see things slowly come together and it was nice to step away from the sewing machine for a bit. I also learned that I love the smell of the jute webbing that you use to stabilize parts of the chair. It smells so good I can't even explain it just trust me. So what do you guys think? Would you try an upholstery project? I have a ton of extra fabric and I think I'm going to make some pillows and maybe a little matching footstool. As always thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. It looks so nice, and Maurice loves it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out really nice! Gpa and I are impressed. I think a footstool would be a nice companion piece.

    ReplyDelete